Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Friday, October 08, 2004

The Willy Nilly bet

I was talking to a Bush supporter after the debate tonight, and he said I would make a big mistake to vote for Kerry because he would raise taxes. Even after I told him the truth, he insisted, arguing Kerry would have to pay for his 2 trillion dollars in spending somehow. I told him if he could solve my dilemma, I would kiss his boots right there in the room. My lips never came close.

Here's what I asked. It is a two part question.

If Bush claims Kerry will have to raise taxes to pay for 2 trillion in spending, won't Bush have to raise taxes to pay for his own 3 trillion? And why is covering the amount of new spending so important to Bush now after four years of spending willy nilly - never vetoing a spending bill, mind you - and never once worrying about how to pay for it?

Someone, please, answer this for me. I will figure out a reward and mail it to you if you can.

For extra credit, please explain why the Democrats continue to let the "tax and spend" label get pasted on themselves, especially in this election.