Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Friday, November 04, 2005

Sinking to new lows in New Jersey

I guess there are a lot of jokes I could make with the title of this post, but I'll just link to what I think is one of the lowest political attacks ever:
Gubernatorial candidate Doug Forrester aired a TV commercial featuring a quote from his opponent's ex-wife that Sen. Jon S. Corzine "let his family down, and he'll probably let New Jersey down, too."

I admit when I first read this, I thought that Forrester had sought out Corzine's ex-wife and gotten her to say that. Further reading shows it's a public quote she made to a public newspaper, so it's not as bad as I originally thought.

Even still, I think the use of past relationships like this is a bit out of bounds. Imagine if Corzine went out and found a past lover of Forrester's who felt that his love of rough sex and bondage would put him at a real handicap if a crisis ever arose in the state. Would that quote be out of bounds? Seemingly not, according to the precedent set by this ad.

Even worse, the ad comes in the face of a vow on Wednesday by the Forrester campaign that "private life is private life." Now, with Forrester about to lose the election, he's willing to ignore vows that his campaign made just two days ago.