Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Florida endorsed Dean for DNC

Okay, not the whole state, but the state's entire delegation to the Democratic National Committee came out andunanimously endorsed Howard Dean.
"The only knock against Howard Dean is that he's seen as too liberal," [Scott Maddox, the Florida Democratic chairman] said. "I'm a gun-owning pickup-truck driver and I have a bulldog named Lockjaw. I am a Southern chairman of a Southern state, and I am perfectly comfortable with Howard Dean as D.N.C. chair."

"What our party needs right now is energy, enthusiasm and a willingness to do things differently," he said. "I think Howard Dean brings all three of those things to the party."

I think there are worse choices that Dean out there, and I wouldn't be all the upset if he won the role. What worries me is that any failures by him will be seen as vindication for those who think the party should move toward the middle, and I really don't think that's the case. I guess I'd rather be true to the cause and unpopular than support things I don't believe just to get the party elected. And in the end, that sincerity may end up bringing more people to the party's side.