Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Friday, November 26, 2004

New York Times celebrates anti-gay movement

It sickens me that the New York Times would print an article comparing one of the leaders of the anti-gay movement to revolutionary war hero Paul Revere. I'm not sure why you would link a man whose sole purpose in life seems to be denying rights to a group of citizens to another who rode in the face of danger in an effort to ensure the freedom of men from oppression.

It's that kind of attitude that leads to stupid things like this:
By the account of the civil liberties union, the student, Brad Mathewson, a 16-year-old junior, was sent to the principal's office at Webb City High School (Missouri) on Oct. 20 for wearing a T-shirt that he said came from the Gay-Straight Alliance at a school he previously attended, in Fayetteville, Ark. The shirt bore a pink triangle and the words "Make a Difference!"

Mr. Mathewson, the A.C.L.U. said, was told to turn the shirt inside out or go home and change.

When I was a kid, I had a t-shirt from St. Judes Medical Center. It, too told others to "Make a Difference!" however I was never asked to remove or change my shirt. I guess I lived in more tolerant times.

Anyone with contact info for the New York Times? I'll try and post it later when I get back.