Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Window shopping

On Health Savings Accounts:
Rodney Williamson, a Texas-based benefits consultant, said he has advised employers to shift from managed care plans, and instead make contributions to employees health savings accounts.

Employees are more likely to comparison shop when they are using their own dollars rather than relying on an insurance plan that pays most of the costs, he said.

"We're seeing people trying to do some research on their own, asking ahead of time, 'How much does this office visit cost?' " said Williamson, who works for Odyssey OneSource, a Euless firm.

With the insurance I have now, I know how much a visit to the doctor's office is. It's twenty bucks. Everytime. I don't need to comparison shop and worry if Dr. X is worth the extra ten bucks he charges over Dr. Y because he went to a better medical school. I can choose my doctor based on competence and pay the same fee rather than looking out for a doctor that might save me a few bucks down the line.

And when I'm sick, the last thing I'll want to be doing is calling doctors around town finding out how much it will cost me to visit, and whether they can throw in some free drug samples to make it worth my while.

But how do HSAs save me money? Well, if I think I just have a cold, then why spend money out of my HSA, right? Rather then going to the doctor for a checkup, I can save money by not going at all! And that's how HSAs are supposed to bring down your health care costs. It's fine if you are healthy, but in those instances where that cold may be something more serious and costly, HSAs will eventually cost more out of your pockets:
The survey also found that those covered by these new plans, both with and without savings accounts, are more likely than those with comprehensive insurance to avoid or delay needed care. When they do get care, those in consumer-directed plans encounter larger financial burdens compared with those with comprehensive insurance.

Sounds like a dream solution, doesn't it?