Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Monday, August 22, 2005

There are some things I can't understand: Althouse edition

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this one, but isn't it a little cynical to say this:
Should Democrats bring back the Vietnam era anti-war imagery, with folksinging gatherings and get-out-now rhetoric? I can understand wanting to express yourself that way if that's what you feel, but you know it didn't win elections back then.

I guess, according to Althouse, everything you do should be about winning elections. Before you leave the house in the morning (or even shower before you leave) you should figure out what impact it could have on your party's chance in the elections and act accordingly. Screw what you actually believe in. Sacrifice yourself for the good of the party.

And then she goes and contradicts herself:
I hate party politics myself. People should express what they think about the war.

Well, which is it? Acting for the good of the party or expressing your values that may or may not win elections?

I would think that clearly expressing your viewpoints would be the key to winning elections. Maybe that's what Ann is trying to say? But I don't see that in anything she wrote.

Anyone?