Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Feingold

Red State:
Senator Russ Feingold (D-Wisconsin) demands that U.S. troops be withdrawn from Iraq by December 31, 2006; he adds, however, that this date should be flexible, changing to meet the demands of conditions. That's an odd signal to send, and one which the opposition could tweak nicely with their actions.
Uh, there's no demand in Feingold's statement, just a suggestion that a withdrawal date might gives us something to shoot for rather than this nebulous never ending war.

For example, if I told you you needed to dig a hole in my back yard about five feet deep by tomorrow and I would give you fifty bucks, you would have specific goal to reach. If I just asked you to dig a hole, you'd have no reason to work on it and no specifications to meet. The goal is very imprecise until I give you boundaries and a timeline to try and beat it in.

And if you don't succeed? I change the rules and give you more time. Because I really want that hole.

And if you don't finish my hole, I can employ your skill on other tasks. You are tied up until I get my hole. Just like our troops are tied up and unable to address any other military concerns until we "finish" in Iraq.

There's nothing wrong with having goals people, as long as you can be honest about if and when they can be met. I'm glad someone has finally started the discussion to cement the goalpost and give us something to shoot for.