Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Today

I sat agog watching the news coverage today of everything happening in the South, so much so I picked up the phone and called the Red Cross to volunteer my time. I have yet to hear back from them, but I figured if the President can't go down there and help, maybe I could.

I thought last night after watching Bush's speech from the comfy confines of the rose garden (perhaps the antithesis of the hardest hit areas) that he seemed disappointed that either his vacation was cut short or that he had no one to retaliate on for all this destruction.

Atrios all day has blogged the atrocities (scroll everywhere), and a poster at Kos took out Haestert for his stupid comments. I wondered myself where the United States would put almost a million and a half people now with no assets.

For some reason the scrolls on MSNBC and CNN noted that so far, we've turned down foreign aid. What the hell is that all about?

But my favorite line from the President has to be:
Americans should be prudent in their use of energy during the course of the next few weeks. Don't buy gas if you don't need it.

Because the most prudent thing to do is not buy gas that you don't need. So quit filling up your swimming pools or reenacting the scene from Flashdance at your local gas station. Find something else to use.

UPDATE Perhaps someone can explain to me why James Taranto is so quick to dismiss help from the Germans? I'm glad to see that someone is offering up things that so far our government seems unable to provide.