Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Cleaning house

Sorry for the long lapse, but the last few days have been consumed with household chores and a return to the 6 am to 6 pm work shift. On the plus side, I've learned the term "water hammer" and the do's of installing a dishwasher. The negatives? I've learned the term "water hammer" and the don'ts of installing a dishwasher.

But I figured I'd do a little house cleaning on some links I missed, and that you may have, too.

First off, Hillary is pretty safe, and Spitzer still looks good in New York, although his once huge gap has started to slip. As far as Hillary goes, I hope the Republicans waste as much money as possible trying to unseat her. I think the Spitzer gap narrowing was pretty predictable, but much more narrowing beyond this give me pause for worry. Either way, it's still early.

More than half the country wants to know John Roberts stance on abortion while Democrats may take a different line of questioning with Roberts altogether. Republicans are apparently coaching Roberts to be mum on everything, knowing that he can say and do all the stupid things he wants after he is confirmed and not a moment sooner. My take? He'll be confirmed relatively bloodlessly, and the real battle comes later on.

Barbara Hafer, once a candidate to unseat Rick Santorum, may decide instead to face off against Rep Tim Murphy for his seat. I'm one of those people who felt she got a raw deal in her dealings with Pennsylvanian Democrats as they decided Bob Casey was the man for them, so consider this an early endorsement for Hafer. I wish her all the best.

I'll save the Arnold stuff for another post.