Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Thank goodness for the right

According to most bloggers on the right, I'm very depressed now that democracy ruled out over my pessimism. I'm suicidal at the idea that Bush's democracy in Iraq is a success, and I'm disappointed that my insurgent allies did not run amok on election day.

Thank goodness for them so I don't have to think.

Of course it's ridiculous to think that a large majority of the left is going to cry themselves to sleep tonight. The 60% turnout is a pretty good number, but the main concern I have is that the Sunni turnout was unbelievable low.

In 2000, the voting population of Ohio was around 8.5 million. Would we call it a successful election if we said 5 million voted, but the entire cities of Cleveland, Cincinnati, and parts of Dayton failed to show up? I'll leave that up to you.

I'm pleased the way things went today. We should all take the time to pause and celebrate the fact the election went so well. Tomorrow, and over the course of the weeks to come, we will see the effects of these elections.

A quick side question: If this indelible ink thing works so well in Iraq, why don't we do that here is America to prevent people from trying to vote twice? Just curious.