Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Let's just let the lobbyists vote for President

I can only read the first few paragraphs of Romesh Ponnuru's latest at the National Review (because I don't want to give them any money), but it seems to be about how conservatives can actually become the true majority in the country.

Yes, it's true. Hard core conservatives are not in the majority, and Romesh wants to fix that. While I think this is a horrible idea, I can't really agrue his points because, again, I don't want to give conservatives any more of my money than I have to (taxes. What are you gonna do?). But his style is dazzling from the get go:
[Conservatives] are an extremely large minority, and one that the public prefers, slightly but decisively, to their rivals.

Yes, they won just barely, but that bare majority is conclusive about what they want, and that is why they should hi-jack the ship and steer it in a direction that, by Romesh's own admission, a majority of Americans do not want to go in just to prove they are capable stewards.

Here's another free gem:
Changing the balance of power among interest groups is important.

You see, it's not about putting the power back in the hands of the people if conservatives are to win out in the end, but rather to get it into the power of more conservative leading lobbying groups.

The public? Who cares! They have no power and influence in Washington, and conservatives, Romesh seems ready to argue, shouldn't give it to them.

I only wish I could read more of his wisdom for free. I'm certainly not going to pay for more of it. At least not financially.