Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

John Peel

I remember listening to my one of my brother's Peel Sessions tapes (maybe the band Joy Division) liking what I heard, and wondering what a Peel Session was. Later I bought one of my first tapes, a Billy Bragg Peel Session, and someone explained the significance of the man John Peel.

He was a radio pioneer in England, responsible for the "discovery" of any number of great artists, providing them with airplay and studio time to get their music to the people. So even though I've never met him, or heard his voice on the radio, I always felt a certain respect and gratitude for the man.

It is with sadness, then, they I report that John Peel passed away today. And it is clear that both the music industry and the public in general share my feeling of debt to a man whose contacts with me consisted of magnetized plastic and small, silvery discs.

It is a sad day for music. My thoughts and warm wishes go out to his family and friends, and eternal thanks go to the man that no doubt "found" some of my favorite bands.

Cheers, mate.