Get Your Blog Up

“This administration is populated by people who’ve spent their careers bashing government. They’re not just small-government conservatives—they’re Grover Norquist, strangle-it-in-the-bathtub conservatives. It’s a cognitive disconnect for them to be able to do something well in an arena that they have so derided and reviled all these years.”

Senator Hillary Clinton

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Trippi tries to fire up Kerry, Democrats

I felt a little stir when I read Trippi's latest entry on MSNBC:
I know something else about the Kerry campaign: I know when John Kerry and his team’s backs are to the wall that no one is better, stronger and more tenacious. They proved that in Iowa when they came back from the dead.

And that is the difference this time as well. The Kerry campaign is no where near dead, the campaign is very much alive. And if instead of sleep walking, we see the Kerry we all saw in Iowa emerge in the next few days and run to daylight in November, he still can win this thing.

I feel like the hotel desk clerk that calls with the 5 a.m. wake up call after you’ve dropped yourself into bed at 2 a.m. It may not be fair (in fact as someone who slept for two hours a night for two years, I know just how unfair that call can be), but I am going to make the call: Come on guys. Wake-up and fight.

I admit last night and the night before I was worried there were no Democrats out there refuting the Bush campaign. But I think he's on to something here. Kerry does have the perception of a great closer in these campaigns, and when the Republican bounce disappears, it will look that is happening once again. But Kerry has to create the perception it is his doing, and not a natural return to the 50/50 split that has occured in the country. My fingers are crossed.